Yen Hughes Law PC Immigration

Yen Hughes Law PC

T Visa

What is a T visa?

T visas are granted to survivors who experience severe forms of human trafficking as defined by the Trafficking Victims Protection Act of 2000 (TVPA) and who are already physically present in the U.S.

T visas are valid for three years and can be extended to four or more years if necessary for criminal investigation or prosecution. Once granted, T visa holders can live lawfully in the U.S. and can apply for derivative T visa classification for eligible family members, such as a spouse or child, or if victim is under 21, parents and siblings. Under a new policy, adults can apply for parents and unmarried siblings under 21 if they can show that their family member(s) face retaliation for their assistance in the criminal prosecution of their trafficker(s). Once the criminal investigation is complete or 90 days before the T visa expires (after three years), the T visa holder is eligible to apply for permanent resident status.

What are the requirements for a T visa?

There are several requirements to be eligible for a T visa. The threshold condition is that the T visa applicant is already physically present in the U.S. due to “severe forms of human trafficking” as defined by the TVPA.

In addition, to be eligible for the T visa, the individual must show that he or she:

If I suspect that human trafficking is occurring, what should I do?

If you suspect that human trafficking is occurring, please call the National Human Trafficking Resource Center Hotline and report it immediately.

Human Trafficking Resource Center U.S. Hotline (24/7): 1-888-373-7888

Report a Tip Online